This job description has been prepared in order to define the expectation of the company for employees taking the role of Senior Electrical Engineer.
In brief, the role of a Senior Electrical Engineer within Bridgegate Electrical is a role that demands a high level of technical experience with the ability to discuss any aspect of building services electrical installations in a manner that demonstrates a sound technical knowledge and understanding. The role involves managing junior engineers and technicians on a project specific basis.
The employee or candidate must meet the companies standard job description criteria (see page 2)
and the role will include the following main duties:-
Design and Specification of Electrical Installations
– Develop the clients brief to provide suitable solutions to the projects electrical building services needs.
– Produce drawings and specifications in order to demonstrate these requirements in a precise and professional manner.
– Understand the role of other design team professionals and liaise closely with them in order to provide a co-ordinated design solution.
Client Facing and Liaising with Design Team Professionals
– Attend meetings with the client and other design team professionals in order to establish and develop the clients brief and an understanding of the project issues.
– Liaise with other design team professionals to design out any construction issues.
– Senior engineers will have a responsibility to manage more junior members of the Bridgegate Electrical design team and to co-ordinate them in order to ensure the project is completed in accordance with the clients requirements to the standard expected by both Bridgegate Electrical and the client.
– Deal with project management issues and have an understanding of the project programme.
The above list is not exhaustive and the role may include additional duties as it develops.
The standard job description criteria for a Senior Electrical Engineer are therefore:-
A sound level of experience and technical knowledge in the electrical building services field
A sound knowledge of current industry practices and technologies
A sound understanding of the construction design process
A sound understanding of the Construction, Design and Management Regulations
A suitable qualification in electrical building services
Sound educational background – especially with regards to Maths & English
Good communication skills
Be self motivated
An attention to detail and high presentation standards
Hold a current driving licence (ongoing)
A good understanding of construction contracts and processes
Previous experience of project management
The ability to demonstrate leadership qualities
Knowledge of building regulations, industry standards and legislation
Previous experience working within a design and/or a consultancy environment
Previous experience of client facing and working as part of the design team
Knowledge of energy usage and performance with respect to equipment and construction types
Knowledge of energy efficiency and performance calculations
A high level of computer literacy and knowledge of modelling software (Amtech, Dialux, Relux, etc)
A sound level of skill with general office computer packages (word, excel, email etc)
An understanding of CAD
Would be an advantage to have:
A Degree (or working towards)
Engineering Council registration to a minimum of IEng
Are expected to:
Lead by example with regards to timekeeping, producing high quality documentation, compliance with Health & Safety Legislation etc
Treat others fairly and with respect (including our suppliers and sub consultants)
Be honest & open
Be able to communicate with all levels of personnel
Be able to manage a design team whilst liaising with others